What Developments are Permissible in the R4 Zone?

*Permissible developments can vary between LGA's, however these are the typical developments allowed for R4 zoning.

Zone R4, also known as High Density Residential, generally has several objectives.  The objectives can help you understand why certain developments are allowed or prohibited in this zone.  One purpose is to provide a sufficient supply of housing to support a high density residential community.  It's also to provide a variety of housing types, such as residential flat buildings, shop top housing, dwelling houses and multi dwelling housing.  A third purpose is to enable land to be developed for purposes that will provide the residents of the community with services they will need on a daily basis, including neighbourhood shops, child care and education facilities.  Councils may also seek to enable development that provides the community with facilities that support not only the residents, but also workers and visitors.  The purpose can vary between councils and some may have additional purposes, but these tend to be consistently seen across the different councils.

With that said, below are the developments that are typically allowed and prohibited under the R4 Zone.

Allowed without Council's Consent

Development without seeking council's consent is only allowed for the purpose of home occupation.

Allowed with Council's Consent

Consent by council must be obtained prior to development for any of the following:

  • Attached dwellings; Bed and breakfast accommodation; Boarding houses; Building identification signs; Business identification signs; Child care centres; Community facilities; Dual occupancies; Dwelling houses; Educational establishments; Emergency services facilities; Environmental facilities; Environmental protection works; Exhibition homes; Flood mitigation works; Home-based child care; Home businesses; Hostels; Information and education facilities; Multi dwelling housing; Neighbourhood shops; Places of public worship; Public administration buildings; Recreation areas; Recreation facilities (indoor); Recreation facilities (outdoor); Residential flat buildings; Respite day care centres; Roads; Semi-detached dwellings; Seniors housing; Shop top housing; Water recycling facilities

Prohibited Development

Any development not listed above is generally prohibited under R4 zoning and council will not give approval.

Find out the zoning of any property with a Blockbrief membership

Plus other great features:

Zoning Alerts

Development Site Database

Zoning Database

BrokerMaps (Cloud based portfolio management)

Zoning Reports