What Developments are Permissible in the R1 Zone?

*Permissible developments can vary between LGA's, however these are the typical developments allowed for R1 zoning.

There are typically three purposes for R1 zoning, which can help explain why certain developments are permitted in the area and others are not.  One purpose is to provide a sufficient housing supply for the community.  It is also to enable the community to have a variety of housing types and densities, such as town houses or shop top housing.   The third purpose is to allow for other land uses that provide facilities that the residents of the community will need every day (i.e. child care, neighbourhood shops, and recreation areas).  Some councils may have additional purposes, but these tend to be consistently seen across the different councils.

With that said, below are the developments that are allowed and prohibited under the R1 Zone.

Allowed without Council's Consent

Development without seeking council's consent is only allowed for the purpose of home occupation.

Allowed with Council's Consent

Consent by council must be obtained prior to development for any of the following:

  • Attached dwellings, Boarding houses; Car parks; Child care centres; Community facilities; Dwelling houses; Environmental protection works; Group homes; Home-based child care; Home businesses; Home industries; Hostels; Multi dwelling housing; Neighbourhood shops; Office premises; Places of public worship; Recreation areas; Residential flat buildings; Respite day care centres; Roads; Secondary dwellings; Semi-detached dwellings, Seniors housing; Shop top housing

Prohibited Development

Any development not listed above is generally prohibited under R1 zoning and council will not give approval.


Find out the zoning of any property with a Blockbrief membership

Plus other great features:

Zoning Alerts

Development Site Database

Zoning Database

BrokerMaps (Cloud based portfolio management)

Zoning Reports