What Developments are Permissible in the E4 Zone?

*Permissible developments can vary between LGA's, however these are the typical developments allowed for E4 zoning.

Typically, the purpose for the E4 Environmental Living Zone is to provide for low-impact residential development in areas with special ecological, scientific or aesthetic values. Some councils may have additional purposes, but these tend to be consistently seen across the different councils.

With that said, below are the developments that are typically allowed and prohibited under the E4 Zone.

Allowed without Council's Consent

Development without seeking council's consent is only allowed for the purpose of home occupation.

Allowed with Council's Consent

Consent by council must be obtained prior to development for any of the following:

  • Building identification signs; Business identification signs; Child care centres; Community facilities; Dual occupancies (attached); Dwelling houses; Eco-tourist facilities; Emergency services facilities; Environmental facilities; Environmental protection works; Extensive agriculture; Farm buildings; Flood mitigation works; Horticulture; Home-based child care centres; Home businesses; Home industries; Recreation areas; Recreation facilities (outdoor); Respite day care centres; Roads; Viticulture; Water supply systems

Prohibited Development

Any development not listed above is generally prohibited under E4 zoning and council will not give approval. The following land uses are typically identified as prohibited:

  • Industries, Service Stations, Warehouse or distribution centres.


Find out the zoning of any property with a Blockbrief membership

Plus other great features:

Zoning Alerts

Development Site Database

Zoning Database

BrokerMaps (Cloud based portfolio management)

Zoning Reports