What Developments are Permissible in the B4 Zone?

*Permissible developments can vary between LGA's, however these are the typical developments allowed for B4 zoning.

There are generally several purposes for B4 zoning, also known as mixed use, which can help explain why certain developments are permitted in the area and others are not.  One purpose is to provide a mixture of compatible land uses.  A second purpose is to integrate suitable business, office, residential, retail and other development in accessible locations in order to maximise the use of public transport and encourage walking.  A third purpose is to encourage development that helps create a vibrant and sustainable neighbourhood.  Another purpose that may be seen is to protect and enhance the unique qualities and character of special areas in the city.

With that said, below are the developments that are allowed and prohibited under the B4 Zone.

Allowed without Council's Consent

Development without seeking council's consent is only allowed for the purpose of home occupation.

Allowed with Council's Consent

Consent by council must be obtained prior to development for any of the following:

  • Boarding houses; Building identification signs; Business identification signs; Child care centres; Commercial premises; Community facilities; Educational establishments; Entertainment facilities; Function centres; Hotel or motel accommodation; Information and education facilities; Light industries; Medical centres; Passenger transport facilities; Recreation facilities (indoor); Registered clubs; Respite day care centres; Restricted premises; Roads; Seniors housing; Shop top housing; Water recycling facilities; Any other development not specifically listed below as prohibited

Prohibited Development

Any development listed below is generally prohibited under B4 zoning and council will not give approval:

  • Agriculture; Air transport facilities; Airstrips; Amusement centres; Animal boarding or training establishments; Boat building and repair facilities; Boat launching ramps; Boat sheds; Camping grounds; Caravan parks; Cemeteries; Charter and tourism boating facilities; Crematoria; Depots; Dual occupancies; Dwelling houses; Eco-tourist facilities; Electricity generating works; Exhibition homes; Exhibition villages; Extractive industries; Farm buildings; Forestry; Freight transport facilities; Heavy industrial storage establishments; Helipads; Highway service centres; Home industries; Home occupations (sex services); Industrial retail outlets; Industrial training facilities; Industries; Jetties; Marinas; Mooring pens; Moorings; Mortuaries; Open cut mining; Port facilities; Recreation facilities (major); Research stations; Rural industries; Rural workers’ dwellings; Secondary dwellings; Semi-detached dwellings; Sewerage systems; Sex services premises; Signage; Storage premises; Transport depots; Truck depots; Vehicle body repair workshops; Warehouse or distribution centres; Waste or resource management facilities; Water recreation structures; Water supply systems; Wharf or boating facilities; Wholesale supplies

Find out the zoning of any property with a Blockbrief membership

Plus other great features:

Zoning Alerts

Development Site Database

Zoning Database

BrokerMaps (Cloud based portfolio management)

Zoning Reports