What Developments are Permissible in B1 Zone?

*Permissible developments can vary between LGA's, however these are the typical developments allowed for B1 zoning.

Each zone has different objectives that can help you understand why certain developments are allowed or prohibited in this zone. The purpose can vary slightly between councils and some may have additional purposes. Generally the purpose of the B1 Zone, also known as Neighbourhood Centre, is to provide a range of small-scale retail, business and community uses that are needed to serve the needs of the people who live or work in the surrounding neighbourhood.

With that said, below are the developments that are generally allowed and prohibited under the B1 Zone.

Allowed without Council's Consent

Development without seeking council's consent is only allowed for the purpose of home occupation.

Allowed with Council's Consent

Consent by council must generally be obtained prior to development for any of the following:

  • Bed and breakfast accommodation; Boarding houses; Building identification signs; Business identification signs; Business premises; Child care centres; Community facilities; Health consulting rooms; Hostels; Medical centres; Neighbourhood shops; Respite day care centres; Roads; Shop top housing; Water recycling facilities; Any development other than home occupation or not listed under prohibited developments

Prohibited Development

Development for the following purposes will be generally prohibited under Zone B1:

  • Agriculture; Air transport facilities; Airstrips; Amusement centres; Animal boarding or training establishments; Boat building and repair facilities; Boat launching ramps; Boat sheds; Bulky goods premises; Camping grounds; Caravan parks; Cemeteries; Charter and tourism boating facilities; Correctional centres; Crematoria; Depots; Eco-tourist facilities; Electricity generating works; Entertainment facilities; Exhibition homes; Exhibition villages; Extractive industries; Farm buildings; Forestry; Freight transport facilities; Function centres; Garden centres; Hardware and building supplies; Health services facilities; Heavy industrial storage establishments; Helipads; Highway service centres; Home industries; Home occupations (sex services); Industrial retail outlets; Industrial training facilities; Industries; Jetties; Landscaping material supplies; Marinas; Mooring pens; Moorings; Mortuaries; Open cut mining; Passenger transport facilities; Plant nurseries; Port facilities; Pubs; Recreation facilities (major); Registered clubs; Research stations; Residential accommodation; Restricted premises; Rural industries; Rural supplies; Sewerage systems; Sex services premises; Signage; Storage premises; Timber yards; Tourist and visitor accommodation; Transport depots; Truck depots; Vehicle body repair workshops; Vehicle repair stations; Vehicle sales or hire premises; Warehouse or distribution centres; Waste or resource management facilities; Water recreation structures; Water supply systems; Wharf or boating facilities; Wholesale supplies

Find out the zoning of any property with a Blockbrief membership

Plus other great features:

Zoning Alerts

Development Site Database

Zoning Database

BrokerMaps (Cloud based portfolio management)

Zoning Reports